I have decided to try my hardest everyday to become more aware of what is going on around me. So many times I get focused and don't see the beautiful sunset or the pretty clouds in the sky. I am going forward with more of an "enjoy the journey" focus in my life. So I have taken my journal and started with Observations for the day. I have actually really enjoyed doing this. Just wanted to share my last couple of day's observations:
Wednesday: July 20th
Perry and I have been walking about 6:30 each morning. As we were walking I noticed a mother bird circling 100 miles per hour around this tree. I told Pear - she must have a nest close by. Low and behold in the tall grass was a black cat crouched and hiding. I immediately understand this mother's fervent quest to protect her young. She was trying to distract the cat so he wouldn't go by her babies. What mother wouldn't do whatever she can to protect her young even at the sacrifice of her own life. We paused and watched for a moment and then I decided I needed to be a mediator. I couldn't take the pain and anguish she was going through to try to protect her brood. I walked through the tall grass and chased the cat off. Stood there for a second to make sure it didn't return and immediately mama bird settled right back into her nest. I walked away thinking - "YEA - We mothers have to stick together!!"
2nd Observation for Wednesday - July 20th: Passing the church - there is an old man out with his tree trimmers and clippers pruning all the bushes and trees on the church lot. It is still early - probably about 7am. He is working with no pay - Yea, that is called service. I am sure that no one asked him to do this but he saw the need and went and trimmed all the bushes/trees. I want to be that kind of a person.
Today's observations: These seem to happen while we are walking - Maybe because it is early and we talk like crazy when we walk and it is fun to enjoy the fresh air.
1. It is important to stop and taste the red ripe raspberries along the way. We saw and tasted red ripe cherries too. We wanted the ripe apricots right by the edge of the road but they were in someone's yard so we just gazed and pondered their ripeness. Coveted them for a moment and then walked off. It sure is nice to have yummy snacks on our early morning trek. Makes me think what kind of a pioneer I could have been. NOT!!! I am thankful I live when I do - I don't think I would have made a good pioneer.
2. It is important to stop and feed the goats. I know they were waiting for us. As we crested the hill I looked right and sure enough there they were lined up along the fence waiting for us. Needless to say I had to venture down to their line up, gathering grass and flowers along the way to feed them. They showed much appreciation for our love and munched down all we offered. Then we watched them play king of the hill as they fought over who was going to stand on the electrical cable spool. While snickering over the battle - neighbors walk by and question what we were doing. Was I embarrassed? Only for a moment and then I decided I didn't care because I was "enjoying the journey" and having fun along the way.
5 months ago
Cool Cool mom I like your deep thought.
ReplyDeleteI echo "cool cool mom". You are so amazing and I love your observations!! I'm glad you saved the birds - mothers do have to stick together!! Love you forever - you are the best mother ever! Keep observing - I wish I was better at that...and keep reminding me to find joy in the journey :) Thanks for your example!
ReplyDeletemy mom is the coolest ever! You are so fun and I miss you a ton. That is such a good idea, I need to be more like that. Love you tons!
ReplyDelete